A shackle key or shackle opener is used to open and tighten screw pin shackles. The shackle key’s slots are correctly sized to allow twisting of shackle pins. The shackle key is used to remove the bolt from shackles which are commonly found on sailing vessels to attach rigging.
What makes a good shackle key?
A good shackle key allows a boater to tighten or loosen multiple types and sizes of shackles and also includes multiple hand tools for multi-tasking. The Davis Snap Tool Multi-Key includes 19 hand tools in one:
- As a deck plate key, it fits most caps: water, fuel, waste.
- Makes snapping and unsnapping the button snaps on canvas easy.
- Zipper Puller: Tames stiff, sticky or oxidized zippers
- Cutting Tool: Fishing line, paracord, webbing, cardboard boxes, emergency use
- Hex Wrench: Popular sizes of 5/16 in (8mm), 3/8 in, 7/16 in, 1/2 in and new additions of 10mm and 13mm.
- Screwdrivers: both Phillips and slot
- Scraper: Removes labels, tape, dry paint
- Pin Shackle Key: Tightens or loosens pins on most galvanized anchor shackles and stainless steel pin shackles
- Bottle opener